Monday 6 April 2009

Why the Courthouse Hotel is the Mardi Gras of Pubs

It's an age old problem that when something is good, people find out that it's good and it inevitably becomes crap. A victim of its own success. This process can take the form of gentrification / wankification (think Paddington or The Bank Hotel) or, in the case of Mardi Gras and the Courthouse, it's simply a takeover by the hoardes.

The courthouse used to be a cosy, beer gardened place where one could find a table and chat with mates. Now, to find a table, you have to a) wait b) share or c) seek out the eastern suburbs bus-ins, sit a little too close to them and talk graphically about sex, making them feel uncomfortable / oddly arroused til they leave.

Bar queues take FOREVER and I have many a time had to contend with sleazy menfolk wishing me happy birthday and winking sleepily. Check the hair do and baggy jeans matey - do the math!

Speaking of hair dos, there is a poshifying straightifying element going on as the clientele moves from vinnies to vintage - a problem facing much of the Newtown area.

I like space, comfort and like-minded friendly folk. I don't like waiting around and I don't like sleaze.

Crowds, waiting and straight-sleaze also sum up my Mardi Gras experience this year. My friends and I saw more homophobia that night than we do in an average month of Newtown ghettodom. The mammoth parade is overpoliced, over-sponsored, and no longer a particularly pleasant experience for participants with gawking crowds full of tourists who sneer when you seek out a cheer.

Mardi Gras is like a family tradition for me and I have supported it longer than many. But next year, I think I'll have a subdued Mardi Gras in Newtown. Maybe with the hoardes lining Oxford St, I'll head to the Courty for a quiet beer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Firstly "hi". I stumbled on your blog via Katie Bell (although there's a good chance I've met you considering we went to the same uni).

Anyhoo, I agree with you that the Courthouse has turned to shit since "people found out about it", and I have even blogged about the fact myself (http://acoopers4me.livejournal.com/5576.html)

I worry that whatever pub i pick next because it's nice and quiet and has a good atmosphere will also eventually get overrun with wankers. One of my few skills is the abilty to pick a nice pub before it becomes popular.

I am a straight male but I do agree that there is a "poshifying straightifying element going on" at the courty which will be it's downfall. I'm scared extra money over the bar is going to mean an upgrade to the interior which is goign to lead to a loss of atmosphere.

I love the courty and I'm sad to see it go the way it has.

maeve said...

great bloggers think alike i guess! and one doesn't have to be gay to get the shits and stuff being straightified. i know some damn queer heterosexuals!

Followers

The Blurb

For maevegobash: yeah, I just like thinking/writing/talking about myself. That's what blogs are for, right? For vegepalooza: I have been vegetarian for 25 years now - so that's always for me. My mothers cooked a storm up in the kitchen and I am carrying the torch filling my friends bellies at every opportunity. I love food and want to share my recipes, tips and tricks here to encourage creative vegetarian eating. There will also be a lot of vegan recipes for my friends with more willpower than me (sorry kids, I just love the cheese). Anyway enjoy, feel free to criticise and most of all Happy Eating!